Taking a Break

I have been a student at UAF for two years now.  Last Fall semester was a particularly tough semester for me in many ways.  After that semester, I decided to not take a break from school, but to take a break from Alaska.  I am not from Alaska, so coming up here was a whole new experience for me.  I thought that going back home for a little bit while still taking classes would be a great idea.  I ended up taking as many classes that would count for my major as I could online through UAF.  This was my first choice for taking classes since I do not mind online classes and I wouldn’t have to worry about transferring them over.  I also ended up taking a class at the community college near where I was staying.  Before I took the class, I made sure it would transfer over correctly.  My time back at home served as a well needed vacation in a way.  I never thought I’d see home as a vacation, but when you’re over 3,000 miles away it looks that way.  I spent some time with my family and pets back home and then headed back up here at the beginning of the summer. 
Taking a break from the stresses of college is completely normal.  Even though I was still taking a few classes, I felt so much better after being away for a little while and having time to recuperate.  I just want you all to know that it is completely normal to be stressed out as a college student and to want a break from it sometimes.  I know many people who have taken a semester off from classes or work just to regain their confidence about school and their future.   It is totally okay if you end up taking classes for more than the “typical” 4 years.  I put typical in quotes since 4 years is not really the standard for graduating from college anymore.  All of the requirements and prerequisites can make it difficult to graduate in four years sometimes.  It took me a little bit to get used to the fact that I wasn’t graduating in four years, but that doesn’t make the journey worth any less. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.