New York Adventures... the Best of the Best

New York City was such a great experience. I am so happy and grateful that I was able to go on this trip and see everything that I got to see with the people that I did. I did so much in such a short amount of time and would have done more if not for that pesky snow storm... oh yes, the snow followed me down and tried to take over this vacation. It's more than okay though, New York in the snow is beautiful; so, you know, two birds, one stone.

Greenwich Village, Manhattan
Washington Square Arch and Me!
This area was one of the coolest places I've ever been. I have never felt so connected and so excited about one place in my entire life (except maybe Terceira). There were comedy clubs and live music all over the place. Vintage clothing stores, record stores, French-style cafes and so much more. It was beautiful and its' beauty only became more clear when I was told by someone who had lived in the city for decades that that used to be where the punks and the rockers and the punk rockers would congregate and play shows and cause beautiful mayhem. This is where I had my first macaroon and thus ignited my love for these pretty-patty looking pastries. Alex, Ariana, and I, armed with our French pastries and warm beverages sat in an empty fountain across from the Washington Square Arch and watched a man on roller blades glide across the foundation of the empty fountain.

Soho, Manhattan
While Greenwich Village somehow felt like an attainable cool, Soho was another level. I described to Ariana (she was in class while we were in Manhattan that day) that Soho was like the richer, older, model cousin of Greenwich village. The kind of hypothetical person who wears a lot of light pink, has perfect hair and imports their furniture from France. Yeah, this is Soho. Or at least this is the part of Soho that I saw. We visited a beautiful gallery with original Dr. Seuss (Theodor
Seuss Geisel) illustrations and sculptures and a lot of other beautiful and strange contemporary art. One of the ladies who worked there talked to us and asked a lot of questions about Alaska and thanked us and my dad and Alex's mom for their service in the military. She was very kind and encouraged us to look around and see all of the pieces. Everything was so expensive! I know art is expensive, especially in a gallery, but I was astounded. Some of the pieces were $50,000+ I was very aware of where I was standing, being careful not to get too close to the paintings or sculptures and was as graceful as I could possibly be. There was no way that I was going to damage, touch, or even breath too much on anything.

Chinatown
Unfortunately the Chinatown adventure was rather short lived as it was ridiculously windy and cold on that particular day. But that did make for the perfect day to have my first soup dumpling. Let me just say that I. LOVE. SOUP. and mixed with dumplings just makes it the ultimate food. I was so excited to try it that I forgot to tell Alex what they were. Instead of biting a hole in the dumpling and pouring the soup into the spoon or sucking the soup out or even biting it in half, he put the whole dumpling in his mouth and bit down. His eyes got wide and watery and rocked back in forth in pain, trying not to spray the dumpling innards all over the table. He held it like a champ despite the searing pain and made it through. He then avoided the dumplings like the plague until I showed him how to eat them without causing a ridiculous amount of pain. He was still timid, though I don't think that he could truly appreciate it after that trauma had left him without any taste buds.

Dumbo, Brooklyn and Williamsburg
Brooklyn Bridge from Dumbo
Dumbo was hands down one of the most beautiful places I have seen. It was right next to the water and at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. There were beautiful, old brick warehouses that had been revamped and turned into modern stores, a theatre, there was a chocolate factory in one, and much more. This was definitely one of the less known places for tourists around the city and I am so happy. Every place that I went to in New York, every neighborhood I went to, sometimes even crossing a street, had its own vibe, its own unique feeling.

Dumbo had one of the most unique feeling of its own and I wish I had the words to explain just exactly what that feeling was. Unfortunately, I don't have the words, but gosh darn it, I'm going to try. It felt stuck in time, stuck in a time that we like to look back on fondly but really have no idea what it would be like. It was hip, though, with its cool restaurants and bars along the streets that I wish we had the chance to visit. I can imagine a hundred years ago that Dumbo wasn't such a beautiful place, while the Brooklyn Bridge would still be a stunning sight, I can image this was the kind of place that the working class would...well...work in. This was not always a place for recreation of aesthetically pleasing photos between two bridges (the other bridge being the Manhattan Bridge).

After our glorious time in Dumbo we decided to catch an Uber to Williamsburg because none of us had ever been to that part of Brooklyn. It was such an interesting place. There were massive, colorful murals on the sides of buildings, not just one, SEVERAL. It was really nice because there was a mixture of some gaudy, marble, Gringotts-looking buildings and more modern buildings that looked like they were made entirely out of glass and everything else in-between. Also please excuse my attempts to describe the buildings, I hope I did not offend any architects out there! Ariana, Alex and I wondered around and even wondered into NARNIA!!!!! It was a small thrift store that came out of nowhere. Lastly, we went to this cool rustic but clean restaurant/bar that was definitely oozing with hipster style and I loved it!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.