When You Leave Something Important At Home

It seems impossible to avoid. You wake up in the morning, everything is great, you roll out of bed and throw yourself into the cleanest clothes, ready to start the day. You might have breakfast or grab something quick to go but that doesn't matter, you forgot something important. A wallet, an id card, your homework that oh by the way happens to be due tonight. Something that is imperative to you continuing your day as smooth as it started off. Now you are in a rut, if you have the time you can race back home to go grab whatever you forgot but what if it is the keys to your cabin? That you also don't have a copy of and you also locked the front door so now you can't even get back into your cabin and you live in Alaska. It is cold outside. You may or may not have the appropriate gear to wait outdoors and you still have classes to get to throughout the day. You sound a lot like me,

In the course of the past few months my life has changed quite a bit, but what hasn't changed is the fact that I'm still busy as most college students are. I've lost one of the keys to my new cabin, I miss my dogs, I use the bus for my main source of transportation so I have to be exceptionally detailed throughout the week in terms of where I'm going and when. None of these things are stressors in my life they simply are the way that things are at the moment. With that being said small situations can seem like a huge inconvenience. This weekend I was on my way to work, I woke up on time, I had coffee, I was dressed perfectly for the job, I felt good about life in general and just as I slammed the door shut on my way to leave I glanced at Brandan and I said "Oh no.".

He looks at me and I begin searching my pockets for the lanyard connected wallet that I always carry with me. If it was in its usual spot I would have heard it jingle with the keys to my cabin but I didn't. My mood started to show hints of despair and I started to think of what to do. Thankfully we woke up early, that way I wouldn't be late, but it was a Saturday and the buses didn't run at the regular times so we stood in front of the locked door to brainstorm. I reached into my pocket and noticed my phone wasn't completely dead so I sent a text to my landlord, I dreaded that text simply because I didn't want to be that person. The person that loses their keys then has to let their landlord know. The person that needs their door unlocked because they have to be to work in an hour and they can't leave without their wallet. But I was that person and I had to bite the bullet.

I texted my landlord with the opening statement "I locked us out of the house again." As expected he replied rather quickly asking if I needed it unlocked soon or just later in the day and my reply of course was unintelligible because I am a garbled mess. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse they did and I was ready to scream at the top of my lungs. My phone died. Connection to my landlord severed for the moment and I got sad. Sad that I locked my wallet in my house, sad that I was now standing outside with an hour to get to work on time and sad that it was about -20 and I was starting to feel it. In the end my landlord did show up, I charged my phone in the cold on the side of the cabin and I got to work on time. I did miss the bus but we took a taxi and I arrived at the doors of Old Navy at 11:24 and I didn't have to be to work until 12;00. So on the bright side every tragic story doesn't have to have a terrible ending but my lesson was learned. As a rule of thumb always check to see if you have your wallet before you lock your door, it plays a large role in how well your day goes.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.