My UAF Story

My journey to UAF is a unique story. You see, I never thought that I would set foot here again, especially not for college. I came to Fairbanks for a high school leadership trip, this was my first real Fairbanks experience. During that journey, I also saw my first UAF Nanooks hockey game. Little did I know at the time that I would eventually make my way into the dorms, classes and the graduating class of 2017 at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

In the Fall of 2013, I was selected to be a part of a 30 man platoon that would deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. During my time there I filled every free moment I had with reading, creating savings plans and figuring out an effective way to pay for college. This is where I determined my ultimate goal, graduate college debt-free.

One day after one of my long shifts I saw an ad on Facebook that was advertising the Homeland Security and Emergency Management program at UAF. I knew at that moment I had to come to UAF, I felt an inner voice within tell me to apply for admissions.

This is where things got a little bit crazy. Trying to get admitted to UAF on EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET SPEED was daunting, but I can assure you the admissions processing team at UAF cares and does a fantastic job. After a 48 hour download time for a single pdf, and lots of email traffic I was able to complete my application. Shortly after that, I was admitted into the Homeland Security and Emergency Management program.

My deployment ended on July 21, 2014, I went back home to Juneau for a little bit and officially came to UAF on August 12. I participated in the New Student Orientation program and loved it. A month later got a job as the orientation assistant! That's where my involvement sparked! But that's a story for another time!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.