TRiO Day

I've been selected to be a student speaker on Trio Day, a day that represents hope, service, compassion and understanding. Over the course of the last two and a half years I've been so amazingly blessed because of the welcoming spirit that the staff at Student Support Services (SSS) embodies each and every day. 

My name is James Gilchrest. I am a first generation college student and a student veteran. My experience and success at UAF has been greatly fostered by SSS, Because of the advising that this program has provided me I will be graduating with my degree in May, and it has only taken me 2.5 years instead of 4. One semester I was stuck on campus with very little money, SSS was there with open arms and a box of food to keep me through the winter. There's so many joyful experiences that I've had being a part of SSS that it's hard to count. 

I think that the most rewarding and exhilarating feeling that I get from SSS is the warmth I feel knowing that everyone in that office wants me to excel and grow, because of SSS I have been able to achieve dreams I never thought possible. SSS has taught me how compassion and service change lives and most importantly how to be of service and utilize my experiences in college to help others who are in similar situations as me. 

Lastly, Student Support Services created a support network that I desperately needed in my life and it is doing the same for many others all over the nation and here at UAF. I would personally like to thank everyone in Student Support services who has invested their time in me and I will never forget the care and genuine connections I've made as a result.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.