Sick Days

Well, I'm back on campus after a weekend and two days of a fairly severe cold. I don't get sick very often, but when I do, I get quite sick.

The worst part was that not only was it my mom's birthday, but she has been gracious enough to wake up with me every morning around 6:30-7:00 AM to drive me to the university so that I can be to work on time and then go to my classes. It was about 6:30 in the morning when I heard her getting ready to take the dogs out to do their business and I had a massive feeling of guilt while I hurried out of bed to catch her before she was outside. I was in no shape to go to classes or work and I was hoping to catch her while she was half asleep so that maybe she could get a couple more hours before she had to go to work.

I felt pretty much useless on Monday, I hardly moved from my bed all day. I slept for hours and hardly left my room. I felt bad about being confined to my bedroom, but I did not want to get anyone else sick. I came out of my dungeon of illness to use the facilities, make soup, sing a very nasally rendition of "Happy Birthday" to my mom, and quickly carry my very inquisitive nephew to the living room, away from my room and my germs. He kept trying to use his little hand to open my door and see what was going on (he is almost 2 years old.) I could hear his adorable, mumble-y toddler voice calling "aunt-E, what are you doing?" It was heart breaking. By the time the evening rolled around I knew that I would not be well enough to try to go to school or work the next day. I felt better knowing this ahead of time, and that I knew my mom wasn't going to have to wake up super early just for me to tell her that she didn't actually have to.

As 8:00 PM rolled around my nose had stopped running and began to clog up, there was no way that I was going to be able to sleep without some help. I had been blessed throughout this cold to still have the ability to breath out of my nose until this point and I was not going to let ANYTHING get in the way of me getting a good, restful, healing slumber. And thus I downed some (the recommended amount) NyQuil, the sweet sweet elixir of the common cold gods.The night before it came to my attention that we were out of cold medicine so I was relieved to have this medicine to help me sleep and, hopefully, get better.

Remarkably in the morning when I woke up, (around 10 am) I felt way better. I felt like I was barely sick, a bit of a runny nose and still tired (but I'm basically always tired so I felt normal). All the cars were gone when I woke up and by the time that I would have made it to the university my class would have ended. So I stayed home and finished FAFSA and the UA Scholarships that were due the following day, did some laundry (cleaned my sick person sheets), tried to get myself in order, and stressed out about making up hours at work that I had missed. Either way I was grateful to be able to get a little bit of rest before the Tasmanian devil of a week revealed itself to me. For more about this week be sure to check out my other blog: The Week about the stresses of due dates creeping up on the same five days.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.