Misadventures with Reggie (Part 2)

So it was July when Reggie had his motor taken out (Reggie is my car, for context please check out Misadventures with Reggie (Part 1)), and it wasn't until the week of Thanksgiving that I got him back. I have owned this car for about 8 months and have only been able to drive the car for about 3 months, if I'm generous about it. When I got my car back the check engine light was still on with the cruise control blinking. The son in this father-son duo told me there were still issues with it that they did not fix because of cost of the part needed. They gave me the number for the company that supplied the engine and washed their hands of me. I will say, it felt a bit insulting. Not because they didn't want to work on any future problems with the car but because of the dismissive manner in which they did it.

I was happy to have my car back and hoped for no more issues as I really couldn't afford anymore and Gerald would soon be in the hands of my brother who came back to AK with his new growing family.

The first week was nice, Reggie drove a lot smoother than Gerald just because, in general, Reggie was newer. I was starting to feel more at ease with my new car despite all of the problems we had had. I started keeping the car running while getting gas so I don't know if the same problem still exists with the gas. Though I'm still uncomfortable with this.

And then just as I had gotten comfortable once again, POP! went one of the tires (not literally a popping noise, but I can't quite emulate the sound that it made). Turns out the wheel and later the rest of the wheels were all pretty flat, I can't blame anyone else for that one. I didn't check before I left campus because I didn't really think to check. It was a terrifying experience to feel a tire pop from under you and feel your car jerk you in a direction that you did not want to go. I was on the expressway but luckily the car jerked me toward an exit, away from oncoming traffic. I parked in in front of a church and checked out the damage and called my father from inside the church as it was about -35°F. The tire was SHREDDED and I had ended up driving a couple of yards on just the rim which was not great. I was so frustrated with myself and this car. While I kept warm in the church I tried calling the people who sold me the car to see if they had a spare tire that they could... uh... spare. My dad had told me to ask them about a spare before we bought the car, but I had forgot as I had never needed one, again, this one was primarily my fault and I can admit that.

After he picked up the tire he drove over to where I was stranded and surveyed the damage. With a lot of frustrated remarks from my dad, some tears from me, and the tire changed we had to run to a nearby gas station to find some fix-a-flat as the other tires were getting dangerously low. It was so cold that the foam from the fix-a-flat did not want to work. But finally we decided to take it slow and drive home on the nearly flat tire and the one spare tire that didn't totally fit the car. We made it home mostly unscathed. Over the next couple of days we bought new tires and put them on my car, luckily the rim wasn't permanently damaged. Turns out that the tire that was obliterated was a different kind of tire than the rest of them, I didn't know about that. What I also did not know is how bad that is for an all-wheel drive Subaru, such as Reggie. This upset me to no end.


Still shaken from the tire event, I began driving Reggie again. I was hyper-vigilant, feeling my heart skip any time I heard any sort of noise coming from my car. I couldn't tell the normal noises from the alarming ones, I couldn't drive on my road without thinking there was something wrong (my road is super bumpy in the winter and I couldn't tell the road bumps from my car acting up). Heading home on the last day of classes before break there was a couple of strange noises coming from my car. This weird slippy noise would come from my car every couple of miles and there was a definitive rattling coming from my car that I couldn't quite place. But, I was almost home so I stuck it out and tried to remain as calm as possible. This was starting to become normal now, this feeling of panic and guilt and just general emotional exhaustion from all the problems. I "noped" right on out of my car as soon as I got home and told my parents about the noises coming from my engine. This time my mother hooked me up with a highly recommended local auto repair shop that are certified in fixing Subarus. I was nervous considering my last run in with the last repair shop that made me feel young, dumb, and responsible for the turbo problems. But this shop actually ended up being great. It took a bit longer before they could run the diagnostic test due to a snow storm but the mechanic was very professional doing his due diligence and calling to let me know what was happening with my car. When we went to drop my car off before the storm he spoke confidently and spoke to me, instead of my dad who was there with me which I appreciate and my father was impressed with.

Thanks for taking the time to read and keep an eye out for a Part 3 because I can assure you that there is one and hopefully I won't have to write a Part 4!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.