Surprising Things about College (Part III): Social

1. Hollywood College Students vs. Real College Students

Zac Efron: 26 y.o. here , Dave Franco: 28 y.o. here
This one come courteously from Student Ambassador Alina. While asking about what surprised people about college, Alina mentioned how different people look in college than she expected. They (we) all typically look a lot younger than how college students are portrayed in movies. I hadn't really thought about it because I had always assumed that I looked significantly younger than I actually was but thinking about it now, it is almost always true when it comes to traditional students. When I say "traditional students" I'm referring to a certain age group (18-24 years old) and typically has full time standing (12 credits or more). Of course like I mentioned in Surprising Things...(Part 1)... there aren't just 18-24 year old students, but generally, I would say, they make up the vast majority of on-campus students. With actors nearing the age of 30+ years being hired to play someone 10-ish years younger than themselves it's no wonder there is such a different perception.

2. Fred Meyer.

Now you may not have Fred Meyer from where you are reading this (or you might, in that case you know the deal). I would describe Fred Meyer as being a better version of Wal-Mart or a more down-to-earth version of Target with a little bit of Sam's Club vibe thrown into it. Either way it is awesome. I have spent many hours just browsing around Fred Meyer for fun and I am not the only one. It is not just a conveniently priced superstore with decent savings. It is also a playground for young adults. From sitting on the furniture in the home section to buying candy and junk food to playing with the "As Seen On TV" products, Fred Meyer is a surprising oasis. I would just spend a couple hours in Fred Meyer when I lived on campus if my roommate ever had a couple people over at our dorm or if I needed to take a break from campus for a while. The only downfall is how easy it is to spend a lot of money there if you're bored and want to buy things to make your dorm room feel more homey. Fred Meyer has always played a big role in my social life since I moved here. I would tag along when I could with my older sister and her friends whenever they went on a Fred Meyer adventure and now, I have my own. It may not be the most exciting thing in the world or the coolest place to go in town, but it's fun and it's a good off-campus place to spend some time when you have nothing else to do.

3. TIME!

Another surprising thing from the brilliant mind of Alina is time. The days at college go by so quickly. I think, in part because you don't necessarily have to be at the university for 5+ hours every weekday. You probably know this already but I did not know it before I met with my academic advisor my first year, but you get to choose your own schedule, which means you don't have to necessarily be on campus every day, all day. Classes are usually an hour to an hour and a half, three to two times, or even once a week for three hours during the fall and spring semesters. I can't fully speak as to why it is that time goes by so quickly but maybe it's control over your own schedule or maybe it's because we're older now and our concept of time is different from when we were in high school. Or, maybe it's because we are too busy with work or fun or whatever it is that we do in college to be concerned with how fast time is going.  Whatever the explanation is, it's thrilling, it is fun and it is scary to feel time going by so quickly. I love feeling like I'm nearing the end of my undergraduate career because I feel closer to being able to do what I want to do with my life and go where I want to go. It's also scary because what if I'm not ready? What if I mess up? There is a line in a song that I like to refer to when I feel the stress of time creeping up on me or if I'm feeling unsure of what I'm doing that kind of helps to pull me up by the boot straps, so to speak. The line goes "you can't regret what you don't decide." I know that despite time's thrilling nature, the uncertainty of the future can feel very limiting. But, waiting and wasting time is the worst thing that you can do with your youth. Make decisions, make plans, and follow through as best you can. If your plans don't always work out or work out perfectly don't beat yourself up, every plan should have room in it for change because life doesn't really like to listen to our plans all the time. If you've gotten anything from this little blurb about time it's that time does go by quickly in college, so DO SOMETHING with that time while you have it!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.