What I Miss Back Home

During my college days here I get asked a common question. "Hey Jason, do you miss home?" and, "What do you miss about it?" Then I would go on ranting about how much I miss the boiling temperatures of Saudi, my parents and my sister. I would also tell that I miss my friends back home. But little do they know that there one thing I miss a little bit more than the other. The FOOD! Yep, that's right I said it, I miss the food more than my own family. Just kidding.

The food in Saudi Arabia is very traditional and people eat the same foods they have eaten for centuries. However there are some laws regarding certain types of food. For example, Islamic dietary laws forbid the eating of pork. This law is enforced throughout Saudi Arabia. At any point you aren't feeling the traditional food, you could always find a fast food or an international chain restaurant. But who wants to eat fast food when there's better food?

Here are some of my favorite traditional foods.

Fatir- Flat Bread made from layered dough and baked in the oven.



Kapsa- This is a traditional main dish in Saudi Arabia. It's full of spices but the two main ingredients are chicken and rice. This is definitely one of my favorite traditional foods in Saudi.



Hummus- This is probably a more common food worldwide. Basically it's chick peas with other ingredients blended together. 



Qahwa- Anytime you enter an Saudi Arabian home, the first thing you will be served is coffee. It takes a while to prepare and varies in different spices. Normally the coffee is served with dates. 




Shawarma- This is a common food if you are looking for a quick bite. It's a levantine meat preparation where lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or buffalo meat are placed on a spit and may be grilled for as long as a day.









With all these good food, how can you not miss home!?



No comments

Powered by Blogger.