Time to Finally Head Home

As this semester comes to a close, I am getting closer to the day that I will finally go home again. You see, I spent my summer up here taking classes and working, so between the end of the spring semester and the start of the summer semester, I only was able to go home for about a week. That being said, it was all spent with family and not with my friends. Then I got to see my parents for my birthday weekend in the middle of September, but I have not really been able to spend as much time with them as I wish I could. But now the time is finally here that I will be able to spend almost a full month at home, time to be with friends and family and just relax. All I have to do is make it through my last finals, then pack my bag and head home!

The main problem with my travels home are that I have to leave on the 6:00 am flight out of Fairbanks and do not get to Petersburg until around 2:30 pm, if all of my flights are on time but most of my flights home have been delayed somewhere. You see Petersburg only gets two flights in everyday, one going North and one going South. This is because Petersburg and the other surrounding islands in Southeast Alaska, except Juneau and Ketchikan and Sitka, are part of the milk run. The milk run is the nickname by locals for the flight that stops at every island to drop off passengers and supplies. Last year when I was trying to come back up at the end of Winter break, my flight going up to Anchorage got canceled, but it was 2 days before the start of classes and I still needed to get all of my school supplies and textbooks, so I had to make some phone calls and luckily ended up being able to make it on the south bound jet, which means that I had to spend 5 hours just traveling down to Seattle, then I had my 3 hour flight up to Fairbanks, not even including the layovers I had, Needless to say it was a very long day and that from personal experience almost all of my flights going to or from home usually get delayed somehow. 

But no matter what my travel troubles end up being, I am always happy to go home and to be able to spend time off of school with family and friends. It has been about a year since I have really been able to do so and I'm so, so ready.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.