The Best Email of 2016!

Yesterday I got the best email of 2016!

I was emailing one of the hospitals in Anchorage, where I am from, about job shadowing opportunities over the summer and I wasn’t expecting a fast reply. I wasn’t expecting there to be any openings either but hey, maybe I’m lucky this week!
So I got a reply within the next 2 days and it said that shadowing a physical therapist is definitely an option during the summer, all I need to do is sign some paper work and make sure my immunizations are up to date! You can’t understand how excited I was to read this because it means that I am that much closer to becoming a physical therapist. It may seem like a small step for some, but it is a huge step for me.




I have wanted to become a physical therapist since I was a freshman in high school. I knew that in order to achieve that goal I would need to work hard and get good grades, so I have never stopped trying to do so. Although college has made getting the 4.0 much harder I believe I am keeping up with my classmates. Shadowing was one of the things I needed to boost my resume for many doctorate schools. So its great that this opportunity is opening up and I can check one more thing off my never-ending list of things to do.




With Alaska being such a small state (population wise) I expected the opportunities to also be small but I was wrong. There are so many opportunities to experience the field of work you want to get involved in when you graduate. You just have to work hard, do your research and ask the right people. There are engineering internships and shadowing with BP and Conoco Phillips. Veterinary hospitals like to share their experiences, and human medical professionals of Alaska would love to brag about their career to those who are also passionate about it.

UAF has some amazing resources that any student can use to get the experience they want. First of all, if you are interested at all in research UAF has it! From social sciences to biology and engineering, you can find a research project to join or start one yourself. Undergraduate Researchand Scholarly Activity would be a program to look into because they can provide equipment and travel funding to students in need. If you want to shadow a physician of some kind, contact Alaska AHEC. They have a center right here in Fairbanks and they can set you up! The business administration program works with local businesses around Fairbanks and Anchorage to provide a hands-on look into what some careers will look like.

Link: http://www.healthcareersinalaska.info/index.php/camps_and_internships/info/alaska-ahecs

So if you are worried like I was that UAF was not a place where we could get the experience we want in the careers we want, we were wrong and worrying was not necessary. The opportunities are there, we just have to grab ‘em!

Here's a cute penguin!





No comments

Powered by Blogger.