My Birthday

It was a cold, dark morning on November 16, 2016. I woke up around 8 am to get ready for the day at the Westmark Hotel; where the Tribal Government Symposium was being held. That day, it was my birthday! It was my first birthday that I did not spend it in Shishmaref, Alaska, my hometown. I missed having my birthday at my grandparents house, where all of my family and friends would come over and have cake and Eskimo donuts and Eskimo ice cream and also spend time together and laugh and rejoice with one another. My birthday at home throughout all my life was the best day of my life, not because I get money, but it was a day where all my family and friends come together and spend time together in one house. 

My birthday here in Fairbanks started with the Tribal Government Symposium at the Westmark Hotel. That morning I listened to respected Elders and other leaders of the state. From 8 to 12:30 pm, I was attending the conference, and I spent my lunch with a few of my friends/mentors at Sourdough Sam's! It was a really good breakfast/lunch, because it was free! I don't know about you but something about free food makes it a whole lot better! After eating lunch, I went straight back to doing homework for the upcoming speech I was about to give at my 6 to 9 pm public speaking class. After my class, I went to the last part of Eskimo dancing at the Rural Student Services Gathering Lounge, where I danced and practiced for a little bit.

I thought that my birthday was over. I felt a little sad because it was my first birthday without a birthday party or birthday cake. It was 10:30 pm when my friend Joe invited me to his apartment to play some NBA 2K17. When I got there, I was surprised to see all of my friends at his apartment. It turned out that they set up a surprise birthday party and they bought me a hamburger cake! It was awesome! We all had part of the hamburger shaped birthday cake and some Dr. Pepper and also some good pizza and I had an awesome time at his apartment! I felt loved and blessed after I spent some time with my second family, the family that I made when I came back to UAF, the family that I am glad I met and created an awesome relationship with; I am so happy that they came through and thought of me on my birthday. Joe and the rest of my friends are people who I love and are really glad I met. They made my 19th birthday a really special birthday :)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.